Hello, bath time enthusiasts! As we celebrate the joyous occasion of National Bubble Bath Day on January 8th, there’s no better way to mark the occasion than by indulging in a bubbly escapade with your little one. However, as winter wraps us in its chilly embrace, it’s crucial to pay extra attention to protecting your baby’s tender skin during this cozy ritual. Here are five essential tips from Dr. Jennifer Huang to make sure bath time is not only fun but also safe and nurturing.
Board-certified Pediatric Dermatologist
Boston Children’s Hospital
Associate Professor of Dermatology, Harvard Medical School
Recognized as a Top Doctor in Boston Magazine for three consecutive years, Dr. Huang has provided care for numerous infants dealing with conditions like eczema, diaper rash, and cradle cap, even attending to her own children who faced skin issues in infancy. Renowned not only for her clinical expertise but also as an award-winning educator and mentor at Harvard Medical School and the Harvard Dermatology Residency Program, Dr. Huang is recognized for her commitment to sharing knowledge.
1. Bath time should be no longer than 10 minutes.
Long baths have the potential to disturb the natural oils and proteins that protect the skin, drying it out. Even plain water can dry out the skin. Additionally, babies require no more than one bath a day.
2. Use fragrance free skincare products.Fragrances are known as top allergens, and infants may be more susceptible to developing allergies or sensitivities due to their developing immune systems. Exposure to fragranced products increases the risk of adverse reactions in babies. Babies shouldn’t smell like roses, they should smell like babies! EllaOla makes high quality, fragrance-free skincare products formulated for babies’ specific skincare needs.
3. Pat, don’t rub with the towel.A baby’s skin is delicate and sensitive. Patting is a gentler approach that minimizes friction and reduces the risk of irritation or damage to the skin’s surface. Rubbing the skin vigorously with a towel can lead to redness, chafing, or dryness. We recommend The Hooded Towel, which is made of soft and durable 100% Organic Turkish Cotton and is also machine-washable.
4. Use a bath soak bag as a washcloth for gentle cleansing and deep hydration, remembering to apply it to the face and behind the ears in addition to the body parts.Dr. Huang recommends using a natural soak bag in place of a washcloth and soap to gently clean and moisturize the body, face and behind the ears (a small amount of shampoo can be used to clean the hair). As far as the tub itself goes, we love The Bath Tub, which is made out of non-toxic materials and grows with your little one from infancy to toddlerhood.
5. Apply moisturizer immediately after bathing from head to toe.After bathing, a baby’s skin rapidly begins to lose moisture. Applying a rich moisturizer is essential to lock in any remaining moisture on your baby’s skin post-bath. EllaOla Face Cream and Hydrating Lotion have been clinically proven to provide 96 hours of hydration and moisture barrier nourishment.
As you embark on these cozy bubble bath adventures with your little ones, remember that these nurturing moments are not just about fun—they’re also about safeguarding your baby’s delicate skin. The tips above can elevate the comfort and safety of your baby’s bath time. May your National Bubble Bath Day be filled with joy, warmth, and the sweet serenity of a gentle soak!
As a special offer just for you, EllaOla is giving you 20% off all of their skin care products when you enter the code ‘LALOFRIEND20’ at checkout at ellaola.com. Hurry, this offer to save on your favorite bath time essentials won’t last forever!